MADISON, Wis. (AP) — About 300 residents had to evacuate an apartment complex in Madison, Wisconsin, after a water pipe broke, creating a sinkhole that swallowed three vehicles.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster says emergency personnel were called to the River’s Edge Apartments shortly before 5 a.m. Friday.
Rajendra Aryal’s Honda Civic was among the three vehicles that fell into the water-filled sinkhole. Aryal, a native of Nepal who’s still learning English, tells the Wisconsin State Journal (http://bit.ly/1PcNeGb ) he had never heard the word “sinkhole” before it happened.
While residents had to evacuate four buildings due to initial concerns about a gas leak, that danger was later ruled out. However, two buildings still had no electricity or water Friday afternoon. Officials say those residents will likely need to spend the night elsewhere.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: Wisconsin State Journal, http://www.madison.com/wsj