NEWNAN, Ga. (AP) — Police say a stranger spanked a man’s 2-year-old son at a grocery store in Georgia when the toddler kept asking his dad for a candy bar.
A Newnan police report says 62-year-old Juan Martinez was arrested Tuesday night. Police say Martinez smelled like alcohol and slurred his speech.
The 2-year-old’s father, James Morris, tells The Newnan Times-Herald his son was asking him for a candy bar in the store’s checkout line when Martinez slapped his son’s hand and bottom. Morris says his son was not hurt.
Police say Martinez was arrested on charges including battery and obstruction. News outlets reported Thursday that police body camera video shows officers struggling to arrest Martinez.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Garbage from Washington state's booming pot industry clogs gutters, sewers and landfills
- Was Smokey Bear wrong? How a beloved character may have helped fuel catastrophic fires
- A Pearl Jam poster depicting a dead President Trump draws controversy in Montana Senate race
- Oatmeal, breakfast foods contain unsafe amounts of weedkiller, report says
- 5 take-aways from primary election, a night of firsts
Martinez is jailed on a $3,390 bond. It is unclear if he has a lawyer.
Information from: The Times-Herald, http://www.times-herald.com