PARIS (AP) — A Venezuelan political exile who proposed to his girlfriend during an audience with the Pope is basking in the wonder of his engagement in a romantic trip to Paris.
Catholic Dario Ramirez strolled through the City of Light Monday with his fiancee Maryangel Espinal, reminiscing about the moment last month that thrust the politician-in-exile into the international spotlight.
Ramirez told the Associated Press that the pontiff, his protocol staff and Espinal were shocked when he popped the question. His fiancee thought he was going to ask for a selfie — not her hand in marriage.
A video recorded on Ramirez’s iPhone captures cheers from the surrounding people when Espinal said “Yes.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Is it time to change the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’?
- Parents of accused Michigan school shooter have ties to Issaquah
- A white teacher taught white students about white privilege. It cost him his job
- Hikers found dead on California trail spent final moments trying to save baby, report says
- Fauci says early reports encouraging about omicron variant
His audience with Pope Francis came as part of a visit with the International Catholic Legislatures Network.