FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — A Canadian couple watched via web cam as a man broke into their Florida vacation home on Fort Myers Beach before turning the video over to authorities.
The surveillance tape helped Lee County sheriff’s deputies arrest 45-year-old Thomas Hinton on Sunday, the day after the burglary. He’s charged with burglary and grand theft and was jailed on $160,000 bond.
The News-Press of Fort Myers (http://newspr.es/1OykK9O ) reports the couple reported the crime from their home in Ontario, Canada, on Saturday night after seeing the man on a web cam. Deputies later learned the man might also be connected to other area burglaries.
A deputy spotted the suspect Sunday and arrested him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- GOP Sen. Roger Marshall plans bill to publicize Fauci's salary
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
- Hostages safe after Texas synagogue standoff; captor dead
A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 5. It’s not clear whether Hinton has a lawyer.
Information from: The (Fort Myers, Fla.) News-Press, http://www.news-press.com