HONOLULU (AP) — President Barack Obama says a Tennessee high school football player who was killed shielding three female friends from gunfire died a hero.
In a Twitter post on Sunday, Obama said: “Zaevion Dobson died saving three friends from getting shot. He was a hero at 15. What’s our excuse for not acting?”
Obama has lobbied Congress unsuccessfully for tighter gun laws since the deadly mass shooting three years ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
Knoxville, Tennessee, police say Dobson, a 15-year-old sophomore, was killed last week as several men went on a shooting spree in the city.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- A hiker got lost, then ignored rescuers' calls because they came from an unknown number
- Japan's Princess Mako marries commoner, loses royal status
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
One of the men later died from injuries. Two others were arrested, though one was released after being questioned.
Obama commented during his annual Christmas vacation in Hawaii.