NEW YORK (AP) — A New York City police detective is one of six American troops killed in a suicide attack near Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan.
Police Commissioner William Bratton on Monday says Detective Joseph Lemm was a 15-year veteran of the New York Police Department and worked in the Bronx Warrant Squad.
Bratton says Lemm served in the U.S. National Guard and, while a member of the police force, he had been deployed twice to Afghanistan and once to Iraq. He leaves behind a wife and three children.
The troops were killed Monday when an attacker rammed an explosives-laden motorcycle into their patrol in a village near the airfield. Two others were wounded along with an Afghan.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Man who shot video of fatal Capitol shooting is arrested, remains focus of political storm
- Far-right personality 'Baked Alaska' arrested in riot probe
- Virginia man arrested at inauguration security checkpoint says he was lost and didn't mean to bring his gun and ammunition to the District
- Biden plans a flurry of executive orders, new legislation for first days as president
The Taliban has claimed responsibility.