NEW YORK (AP) — The Fire Department of New York is adding 21 names to a memorial wall recognizing firefighters who died of illness after being part of the World Trade Center rescue and recovery effort.
Thousands of people who spent time in the dusty rubble of the twin towers have developed respiratory problems and other health issues in the years since the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
With the addition of the new names, the FDNY’s memorial wall at its Brooklyn headquarters will honor 110 department members who have died in the 14 years since they participated in the search for victims and survivors.
A ceremony was planned for Tuesday afternoon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events