CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (AP) — A New York pediatrician who pleaded guilty to federal child exploitation charges has been sentenced to 30 years in prison.
Fifty-seven-year-old Rakesh Punn was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Central Islip. His attorney says the sentence was excessive and vowed to appeal.
Prosecutors say Punn abused young patients, photographed them and submitted false insurance claims for the visits.
Punn initially was charged with abusing three children under the guise that he was giving them medical treatment. He admitted in April 2014 to sexually abusing an 11-year-old girl who was a patient in his office in Bethpage, Long Island.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Biden splits from Trudeau, extending travel curbs at U.S.-Canada land border
- 16 days to die at Pearl Harbor: Families weren't told about sailors trapped inside sunken battleship
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.
- Should vaccinated people start wearing masks again?
Punn also pleaded guilty in 2014 to similar charges in Nassau County. He has since surrendered his medical license and is scheduled to be sentenced in that case next month.