CROWN POINT, Ind. (AP) — A northwestern Indiana couple have been charged with neglect after a young boy they were babysitting found a gun in a bedroom and fatally shot himself.
The Post-Tribune reports 24-year-old Rachel Lynn Griffin and 29-year-old Brett A. Beatty of Crown Point were charged Tuesday in Lake Superior Court with neglect of a dependent resulting in death and neglect of a dependent.
Four-year-old Eric Cole of Wheatfield died Aug. 5 after he found a handgun in a case under a bed in a bedroom at the couple’s home.
An affidavit says Griffin told the boy and his sister to stay in the bedroom while she used the bathroom, then heard a bang and found the boy bleeding.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Biden's critics hurl increasingly vulgar taunts
- Far-right anti-government group grows significantly, report says
Beatty, who wasn’t home, told investigators he thought the gun wasn’t loaded.
Information from: Post-Tribune, http://posttrib.chicagotribune.com/