NEWNAN, Ga. (AP) — Authorities in Georgia say a nursing assistant intentionally broke the leg of a 98-year-old woman, who later died during surgery.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (http://on-ajc.com/2qVSfzT ) that 43-year-old Hakim Ogunkele was arrested Thursday after authorities determined he broke Edna Warren’s leg. Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Nelly Miles says Ogunkele was a certified nursing assistant at Newnan Health and Rehabilitation center, south of Atlanta.
Miles says Warren was taken to Piedmont Newnan Hospital, where she died during emergency surgery.
Ogunkele faces charges of aggravated battery and exploitation and intimidation of an elderly person.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump charged over classified documents in 1st federal indictment of an ex-president VIEW
- He’s 14, just graduated Santa Clara University and about to join SpaceX in Redmond
- Man who set Indiana Jones-like trap in Oregon convicted after hurting FBI agent
- Donald Trump described Pentagon plan of attack and shared classified map, indictment says WATCH
- 'Better Call Saul,' 'Bob's Burgers' actor charged in Capitol riot
He was taken to the Coweta County jail. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.
No further details have been released.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com