TAYLORSVILLE, N.C. (AP) — State prison officials say an officer at a North Carolina prison has been attacked by an inmate.
Jerry Higgins with the North Carolina Department of Public Safety said in a news release that the attack occurred Saturday night at the Alexander Correctional Institution in Taylorsville.
Higgins said Richard Lennox punched the officer, who was taken to a medical facility outside the prison and was evaluated and released.
Higgins says the attack happened in a hallway near a housing area when Lennox refused the officer’s orders.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FEMA plans to test national alert system on Oct. 4
- ‘Victoria’s Secret Karen’ video: Lawsuits show what viewers didn’t see
- Human body found in the mouth of 14-foot Florida alligator
- David Brooks and the $78 airport meal the internet is talking about
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
There were no other injuries.
Higgins says prison officials will pursue assault charges against Lennox.