ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina seized 26 guns and arrested 13 people on weapons charges in a sweep conducted in response to increased gun violence that officials say is related to gang activity.
The Rocky Mount Police Department said on its Facebook page on Tuesday that its officers joined with federal, state and county authorities in the 12-day sweep. The department said among the guns seized were four SKS-style assault rifles, an AR-15 rifle, a sawed-off shotgun and high-powered semi-automatic handguns.
The weapons were seized in a number of investigations ranging from homicide to assault cases. In one instance, police said weapons were found hidden under a vacant house used by suspected gang members.
In addition, police said they seized 926 grams of marijuana, drug paraphernalia and $37,780 in cash.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
- Eastern U.S. socked by winter storm