FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina mother has been charged with murder in connection with the death of her 9-year-old son.
Fayetteville police tell local media they were called to a hotel at around 10:30 a.m. Saturday after a guest reported hearing a fight. There, they found Zamarie Chance unresponsive inside a third-floor room.
The boy was taken to a hospital, where he died from his injuries.
His mother, 35-year-old Crystal M. Matthews, was charged with first-degree murder and felony child abuse. Police say Matthews assaulted her son, causing his death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Large explosions rock Russian military air base in Crimea
Matthews was being held without bond Saturday night. It wasn’t known if she had an attorney.