PHOENIX (AP) — Authorities say there were no injuries after an explosion inside a Phoenix church.
KNXV-TV reports the incident happened Wednesday evening around 7 p.m. near 15th Avenue and Buckeye Road.
Search dogs found no evidence that anyone was inside the building.
Firefighters say the explosion was most likely caused by a natural gas leak. They say it’s unclear if the blast happened before or after the roof collapsed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
Residences in the area were evacuated but residents have since been allowed to return their homes.
The incident was originally called a fire and gas explosion, but firefighters say there was no fire to the structure.