EL PASO, Texas (AP) — A federal judge has ordered a 36-year-old Mexican national held without bond in El Paso while he awaits trial on charges of trafficking cocaine and heroin.
Martin Arody Sanchez Aguirre is one of five men indicted earlier this month in what federal authorities say is a multi-year investigation targeting large quantities of heroin and cocaine smuggled into El Paso from across the Rio Grande in Juarez and then being distributed into the U.S.
Officials say more than 40 kilograms (88.18 pounds) of cocaine and 10 kilograms (22.05 pounds) of heroin have been seized so far.
Trial dates for Sanchez Aguirre and the four others indicted Sept. 13 are yet to be set. Authorities also said Thursday other members of the drug operation already are in federal prison.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search