EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Customs and Border Protection agents in El Paso say a woman who initially told inspectors she had nothing to declare as she was entering the country from Mexico was found carrying 227 pounds of contraband bologna in her car.
The discovery last week was made at a secondary examination station and after the woman amended her declaration statement.
The 23 tubes of meat were hidden under the rear seats of her car.
The bologna contains pork and isn’t allowed into the country.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Democrats demand investigation after report that Trump ordered Michael Cohen to lie to Congress
- As Democrats vow to investigate Trump, Mueller's office issues rare statement rebuking Cohen report
- Before Harts plunged off cliff, strain dogged Washington state family
- Commuter knits a ‘rail delay scarf.’ It fetches $8,650 on eBay.
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is mulling an independent run for president in 2020
Officers seized and destroyed the bologna and the driver was a given a $1,000 fine.