EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Customs and Border Protection agents in El Paso say a woman who initially told inspectors she had nothing to declare as she was entering the country from Mexico was found carrying 227 pounds of contraband bologna in her car.
The discovery last week was made at a secondary examination station and after the woman amended her declaration statement.
The 23 tubes of meat were hidden under the rear seats of her car.
The bologna contains pork and isn’t allowed into the country.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Norwegians spot Viking ship buried in the ground
- AG Barr: Mueller finds no Trump-Russia conspiracy but stops short of exonerating president on obstruction
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Spokane backlash proving Gonzaga's existence, then picks Zags to win NCAA tournament
- Key take-aways from special counsel Robert Mueller’s report
Officers seized and destroyed the bologna and the driver was a given a $1,000 fine.