AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — A New York man charged with killing a Maine couple found shot inside an SUV on Christmas Day was ordered held without bail Wednesday.
David Marble Jr., 29, of Rochester, appeared before a Superior Court justice at the Augusta Judicial Center and was formally charged with two counts of murder in the deaths of Eric Williams, 35, and Bonnie Royer, 26, both of Augusta. He did not enter a plea during the brief appearance.
The Kennebec Journal (http://bit.ly/1RROGT6) reports about a dozen relatives and friends of the victims attended Wednesday’s hearing. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Marchese later told reporters that Marble knew the victims, but she did not offer any more details.
Pamela Ames, one of two attorneys who represented Marble during the appearance, said she was just learning about the case and declined to comment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- ‘A total failure’: The Proud Boys now mock Trump
- The woman behind Michelle Obama's instantly iconic hair
- Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The charges against Marble carry the possibility of life in prison without parole. Marchese requested a hearing to determine if Marble will remain held without bail, and it was scheduled for April 8. Ames said Marble could also waive his right to the hearing and she hasn’t decided how they will proceed.
One of the two shooting victims called 911 from an isolated dirt road in Manchester, about a mile from their Augusta home, on Friday. Responding officers found both of them dead. Police arrested Marble on Tuesday after stopping a motor vehicle in Augusta in which he was a passenger.
Police have said the killings are drug-related, but have not offered more details about the case. An affidavit about the case remained sealed Wednesday.
Marble had been living in an Augusta apartment, police said. He was charged with beating and robbing a man in Rochester in 2010, the Kennebec Journal reported. New York state records show he was sentenced to prison and released on probation in May 2011.