BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a New York debt collector owes more than $1 million in a case of tax evasion.
The United States Attorney’s Office says 52-year-old Dorian Wills of Buffalo operated debt collection businesses under various names for more than three years beginning in 2010 and used illegal practices to collect on debts that in some cases didn’t exist.
Investigators say the businesses took in millions of dollars but that Wills didn’t file all of the required tax returns. They say he owes $1.2 million in federal income taxes for the tax years 2011 through 2013.
Wills faces up to five years in prison when he’s sentenced Aug. 23.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling