BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a New York debt collector owes more than $1 million in a case of tax evasion.
The United States Attorney’s Office says 52-year-old Dorian Wills of Buffalo operated debt collection businesses under various names for more than three years beginning in 2010 and used illegal practices to collect on debts that in some cases didn’t exist.
Investigators say the businesses took in millions of dollars but that Wills didn’t file all of the required tax returns. They say he owes $1.2 million in federal income taxes for the tax years 2011 through 2013.
Wills faces up to five years in prison when he’s sentenced Aug. 23.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor WATCH
- Who is Christine Blasey Ford, the accuser of court nominee Kavanaugh?
- Trump says 'hard to imagine' Kavanaugh guilty of allegation WATCH
- A surgeon, who was a 'Bachelor of the Year' and reality TV-show date, is accused of drugging, raping women
- Nearly half of cellphone calls will be scams by 2019, report says