STOCKHOLM (AP) — Swedish police say at least 15 young women have reported being groped by groups of men on New Year’s Eve in the city of Kalmar.
The Swedish reports follow a string of sex assaults and robberies during New Year’s celebrations in Germany.
Kalmar police spokesman Johan Bruun on Friday said groups of men encircled women on a crowded square and groped them. He said no one was physically injured but that many of those targeted were terrified.
He said two men, both asylum-seekers, were informed through interpreters that they’re suspected of sexual assault and that police are trying to identify other suspects.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Analysis: French anger shifts from pension law to focus on Macron
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- COVID's still out there. Here's what to do if you get it now.
- Should you get another COVID booster?
- Stolen valor: The U.S. volunteers in Ukraine who lie, waste and bicker
Asked about similarities to assaults in Germany, Bruun said “we are aware of what happened in Germany but we are focusing our investigation on what happened in Kalmar.”