LONDON (AP) — A new royal head is about to wear “The Crown.”
Actress Olivia Colman will play Queen Elizabeth II for the third and fourth seasons of the award-winning Netflix series about the British monarch’s long reign.
Publicists for the show confirmed Friday that Colman will star, taking over from Claire Foy.
Colman won a BAFTA for playing a detective in crime series “Broadchurch” and a Golden Globe as a spy chief in “The Night Manager.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mueller concludes Russia-Trump probe with no new indictments WATCH
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Spokane backlash proving Gonzaga's existence, then picks Zags to win NCAA tournament
- Man uses nude mannequins to send message to 'nosey' neighbor
- Alabama prison shuts off water to cells, hunger strike ends
- Eurostar passengers told to avoid travel until April
Foy won Golden Globe this year for portraying the young Elizabeth, thrust into the role of queen by the death of her father King George VI in 1952.
She has said that season two, due for release in December, will be her last.
Season three, taking Elizabeth into the 1960s, is expected in 2019.