CINCINNATI (AP) — The new judge in the case has scheduled a Dec. 12 hearing to discuss plans for the retrial of a white former University of Cincinnati police officer charged with killing a black motorist during a traffic stop.
Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Leslie Ghiz (GIHZ) was selected this week to preside over the retrial of Ray Tensing on murder and voluntary manslaughter charges in the July 2015 shooting of Sam DuBose.
A key issue will be Prosecutor Joe Deters’ (DEE’turz) effort to move the retrial out of the Cincinnati area. Deters has said jurors in the first trial were fearful of being identified amid community pressure.
The first trial judge, Megan Shanahan, recused herself Monday. She declared a mistrial Nov. 12 because of a hung jury.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle hits record high for income inequality, now rivals San Francisco
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- A Washington county that went for Trump is shaken as immigrant neighbors start disappearing VIEW
- Seattle-Dublin nonstop flights to begin in May 2018
- Seattle’s crazy restaurant boom | PNW Magazine VIEW