NEW YORK (AP) — A drunken driver from New Jersey who caused a woman to fall to her death from an elevated highway in New York City has been sentenced to prison.
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez says Vladimir Menin of Fort Lee got the 5 to 15 year sentence on Wednesday.
The victim, Aissatou Diallo of Staten Island, died in August 2016.
She was standing on the shoulder of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway next to her sister’s car, which had a flat tire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Stan Lee, creator of a galaxy of Marvel superheroes, dies VIEW
Menin, who was speeding, crashed into the disabled vehicle, which then hit Diallo and propelled her over a guard rail.
He tried to flee but was chased and restrained by the victim’s relatives.