NEW YORK (AP) — A drunken driver from New Jersey who caused a woman to fall to her death from an elevated highway in New York City has been sentenced to prison.
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez says Vladimir Menin of Fort Lee got the 5 to 15 year sentence on Wednesday.
The victim, Aissatou Diallo of Staten Island, died in August 2016.
She was standing on the shoulder of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway next to her sister’s car, which had a flat tire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Menin, who was speeding, crashed into the disabled vehicle, which then hit Diallo and propelled her over a guard rail.
He tried to flee but was chased and restrained by the victim’s relatives.