TIVERTON, R.I. (AP) — Officials in Tiverton have called a special meeting on a casino’s request to allow 24-hour gambling.
The Tiverton Casino Hotel is scheduled to open on Sept. 1. WJAR-TV reports that casino management is asking the town for permission to operate around-the-clock for one year, after which a review would be conducted to determine whether to make the hours permanent.
Alcohol would not be served during the overnight hours.
Operators say they will be competing with Twin River in Lincoln, which offers 24-hour gambling.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins WATCH
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
- California reparations amount, if any, left to politicians
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘We’re going away’: A state’s choice to forgo Medicaid funds is killing hospitals VIEW
The Town Council planned to meet Thursday evening to discuss the request.
Some residents say they were not aware the casino planned to operate around the clock when the license was transferred from the soon-to-be-closed Newport Grand casino.