LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Las Vegas has installed its third bishop.
KSNV-TV reports George Thomas, the former bishop of Helena, Montana, officially became the new Bishop of Las Vegas during a Tuesday service at the Shrine of the Most Holy Redeemer church.
Thomas is taking over for the retiring Bishop Joseph Pepe, who had served in the position since 2001.
The Diocese of Las Vegas has 32 churches and spans over five counties and 40,000 square miles (103,600 square kilometers).
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you think the political divide is worse than ever, you may be right
- Taco Bell loses $42 million Chihuahua ruling
- Asia Argento, who accused Harvey Weinstein, made deal with her own accuser
- Ex-Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort guilty of 8 charges VIEW
- British Columbia declares state of emergency over wildfires
The Diocese has about 750,000 members in southern Nevada.
The Diocese says 60 percent of its members are Hispanic.
Thomas was the Bishop of Helena, Montana for 14 years.
Information from: KSNV-TV, http://www.mynews3.com/index.php