NEW YORK (AP) — Hundreds of Neil (LY-fur) Leifer photographs, including his iconic images of Muhammad Ali, will be auctioned in New York City.
Guernsey’s is offering 700 lots Friday and Saturday from Leifer’s personal collection.
Leifer’s photos have been featured on over 200 magazine covers, including Sports Illustrated and Time.
The sale includes his famous image of Ali towering over a fallen Sonny Liston during their 1965 heavyweight title bout.
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
There’s also a print of Baltimore Colts’ Alan Ameche (uh-MEE’-chee) scoring the winning touchdown against the New York Giants in 1958 — dubbed “the greatest football game ever played.”
Leifer often swapped prints with other photographers, including Alfred Eisenstaedt and Annie Leibovitz. These also are in the sale.
Guernsey’s says 96 percent of the lots have no minimum reserve.