RENWICK, Iowa (AP) — Iowa authorities have arrested a Nebraska man accused of kidnapping a woman.
Court records say 36-year-old Valentin Velez, of La Vista, Nebraska, is charged with kidnapping in Humboldt County. His attorney didn’t immediately return a call Thursday from The Associated Press. Velez’s next court appearance is scheduled for Feb. 5.
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office says a Fremont, Nebraska, woman managed to escape a residence and was found in Renwick, Iowa, where she told deputies she’d been held. They soon arrested Velez.
She’d posted on social media that she was being held against her will, and a friend who read the post contacted Fremont authorities. Investigators say the posting helped them determine her location in Renwick.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
Authorities say the woman is an acquaintance of Velez. Her name hasn’t been released.