SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S. Navy says it is calling off its search for a sailor reported lost at sea earlier this week in the eastern Pacific Ocean.
Officials said in a statement Thursday they were ending the four-day search and rescue operation and haven’t been able to locate the sailor who disappeared from the USS Lake Erie on Aug. 19.
The Navy initiated a “man overboard” search after the sailor couldn’t be found aboard the ship, which was conducting routine training operations.
Military officials have not identified the missing sailor. But an Atlanta woman, Alicia McCalla, who said she’s the sailor’s mother, posted a video on Facebook identifying him as Lt. j.g. Asante McCalla.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- WSU police chief, 2 others retire after internal investigation
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Naturalist who was authority on eastern timber rattlesnakes dies of snakebite at 80
She said the Navy has not provided regular updates about the search or the circumstances surrounding her son’s disappearance.