NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — The Navy says two people were injured after a fire erupted aboard the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier while a fighter jet was undergoing refueling.
The Navy says the Truman was underway in the Atlantic Ocean when an F/A-18C caught fire on the flight deck Tuesday night.
The Navy says the fire was quickly extinguished but the aircraft’s pilot ejected and landed on the flight deck. The Navy says a sailor assigned to the ship also suffered non-life threatening injuries. Both were taken to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina, for further treatment.
The Navy says an investigation into the cause of the fire has begun.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden's inauguration
- Trump plans to live at Mar-a-Lago and employ some current aides