NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — The Navy says two people were injured after a fire erupted aboard the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier while a fighter jet was undergoing refueling.
The Navy says the Truman was underway in the Atlantic Ocean when an F/A-18C caught fire on the flight deck Tuesday night.
The Navy says the fire was quickly extinguished but the aircraft’s pilot ejected and landed on the flight deck. The Navy says a sailor assigned to the ship also suffered non-life threatening injuries. Both were taken to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina, for further treatment.
The Navy says an investigation into the cause of the fire has begun.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance