ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The Naval Academy says a midshipman is being dismissed following his sentencing to 12 to 24 years in prison for a sex crime involving a girl in North Carolina.
The Capital reported Friday that Midshipman 2nd Class Leonard Kiptoo Langat is on a leave of absence pending an administrative process to separate him from the academy.
Langat was away from the school on holiday break in Concord when he entered a female relative’s room and engaged in unwanted sexual activity. Concord police Capt. John Tierney says it happened in December. Langat pleaded guilty to indecent liberties with a minor in Cabarrus County Superior Court.
Academy spokesman Cmdr. David McKinney says it coordinated with Annapolis, Maryland, police to arrange Langat’s arrest in January after he returned to school.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump said he thinks 'the people would revolt' if he were impeached
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- 'Dirty deeds': Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen gets 3 years in prison
- Trump threatens shutdown in wild encounter with Democrats WATCH
- Pelosi gives Trump an earful, questions 'manhood' in private WATCH
It’s unclear if Langat has lawyer.
Information from: The Capital, http://www.capitalgazette.com/