ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The Naval Academy says a midshipman is being dismissed following his sentencing to 12 to 24 years in prison for a sex crime involving a girl in North Carolina.
The Capital reported Friday that Midshipman 2nd Class Leonard Kiptoo Langat is on a leave of absence pending an administrative process to separate him from the academy.
Langat was away from the school on holiday break in Concord when he entered a female relative’s room and engaged in unwanted sexual activity. Concord police Capt. John Tierney says it happened in December. Langat pleaded guilty to indecent liberties with a minor in Cabarrus County Superior Court.
Academy spokesman Cmdr. David McKinney says it coordinated with Annapolis, Maryland, police to arrange Langat’s arrest in January after he returned to school.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Mueller said ready to deliver key findings in his Trump probe
- America's most famous pimp, poised for elected office, dies
- Audio offers gruesome details of Khashoggi killing, Turkish official says
- Collins' husband: Ricin threat mentioned Kavanaugh vote
It’s unclear if Langat has lawyer.
Information from: The Capital, http://www.capitalgazette.com/