GENEVA (AP) — The United Nations refugee agency says 13,000 people have fled renewed fighting and violence in parts of South Sudan in recent days, many into neighboring Congo.
The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees cites a “surge” of arrivals into Congo’s Ituri province since clashes erupted Jan. 19 between the South Sudanese army and a rebel group, the National Salvation Front.
UNHCR said Tuesday that thousands of people — mostly women, children and the elderly — arrived by foot over the weekend in northeastern Congolese villages near the border town of Ingbokolo.
Another 8,000 are reported to have been internally displaced near the South Sudan town of Yei.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Employee being fired fatally shoots 5 co-workers in Illinois WATCH
Last week, the U.N. envoy for South Sudan, David Shearer, said fighting there had “diminished greatly” since a peace agreement was signed in September.