FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) — Investigators in Kentucky say a woman taken from an Ohio college campus was fatally shot with a weapon carried by the man suspected of abducting her.
Kentucky State Police Commissioner Richard Sanders spoke Wednesday about the Monday afternoon shooting in Oldham County, Kentucky.
The shooting occurred after a police chase. Authorities say 24-year-old Ty’rell Pounds stopped his vehicle and a trooper fired after hearing gunfire from the vehicle.
Sanders says it wasn’t until Tuesday night that police determined 20-year-old Skylar Williams was shot by the weapon carried by the suspect. Williams was a student at Ohio State’s Mansfield campus.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Pounds was fatally shot by Trooper Joey Brown, a five-year veteran of the state police. Sanders said Brown is on administrative leave while the investigation continues.
Sanders said it’s not clear when Williams was shot.