MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a student has been shot and wounded at a high school in Montgomery, Alabama.
Police say the shooting occurred Tuesday morning in or near the gymnasium at Lee High School.
Police spokeswoman Capt. Regina Duckett says the 17-year-old victim suffered a wound that isn’t life-threatening. It wasn’t immediately clear what prompted the gunfire.
Duckett says one person is in custody and the school was put on lockdown as a precaution.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Donald Trump indicted; expected to surrender next week WATCH
- Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins WATCH
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
- Marjorie Taylor Greene’s Twitter feed suspended over anti-trans tweets
Police didn’t immediately release the names of the victim or the suspect, and it was unclear how the weapon used in the shooting got into the school.
Tom Salter, a spokesman for Montgomery’s school system, says the school is equipped with metal detectors which were in use.