PITTSBURGH (AP) — An Israeli man who allegedly had been on the run for 15 years after being accused of raping a teenage girl in Pennsylvania has been extradited back to the United States.
Moshe Journo was remanded to the Allegheny County Jail after he was returned to the Pittsburgh area Thursday.
Authorities say Journo sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl at his tanning parlor in Dormont in 2004. Authorities say he was released on bond but fled the country and remained at large until his arrest by Israeli police in December 2017.
The 53-year-old Journo appealed his extradition. But FBI agents and Allegheny County sheriff’s officers traveled to Israel this week to get him.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
It’s not clear if he’s retained an attorney. He’s facing state charges.