COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A man already serving 50 years for murder in South Carolina will spend another four decades in federal prison for trying to order a bomb to kill his ex-wife in Florida.
The State reports that a judge on Monday handed 32-year-old Michael Young his federal sentence, which won’t begin until his state sentence ends in 2057.
In 2007, Young shot and wounded his estranged wife and killed her father, 49-year-old Robert Lynn Bell, who was trying to protect her.
His lawyer told a judge in 2011 that Young was “a completely different person now.” But evidence showed he obtained an illegal cellphone in prison to access the darknet in 2017. He contacted a man he thought was a Russian arms dealer, but was in fact an undercover FBI agent.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They shunned COVID-19 vaccines but embraced antibody treatment
- A throng of internet sleuths are on the Gabby Petito case. Why has it sparked so much interest?
- Senate GOP says it will allow debt default; Democrats rush to avert economic crisis | Analysis
- A TV meteorologist of 33 years declined the vaccine, citing personal freedoms. He was fired
- A Kansas boy entered a unique insect at the state fair. It triggered a federal investigation
Information from: The State, http://www.thestate.com