QUETTA, Pakistan (AP) — A Pakistani official says a methane gas explosion in a coalmine in the country’s southwest has killed at least three miners.
Mine official Abdul Wali says that four coal miners were also missing after Monday’s incident in the village of Duki in Baluchistan province. He says a rescue operation is underway but that chances of survivals are slim.
Duki village is located about 160 kilometers, or 100 miles, north of Quetta, the provincial capital of Baluchistan.
Such mining incidents are common in Pakistan mainly because of poor safety measures.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- GOP Sen. Roger Marshall plans bill to publicize Fauci's salary
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
- Hostages safe after Texas synagogue standoff; captor dead