HARTLAND, Wis. (AP) — A 7-year-old Wisconsin girl with a potentially fatal brain tumor got a boost of support from some furry law enforcement officers.
Emma Mertens loves dogs, so more than 30 human officers with their K9 partners paid Emma a visit at her home in Hartland . The officers came from across southeastern Wisconsin to surprise her last weekend.
West Allis Police Officer Rick Orlowski tells WTMJ-TV that Emma’s eyes “were the size of saucers” when the officers pulled up. He says she couldn’t stop smiling.
Emma has an inoperable diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma tumor, or a DIPG tumor. A family friend had posted a request on social media for people to send photos of their dogs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harry and Meghan in exile? Palace reportedly eyes Africa move for couple — 'as far away as possible' from William
- Biden hires strategist Symone Sanders, adds diversity to bid
- North Korea issued $2 million bill for comatose Otto Warmbier's care
- Biden enters Democratic race with strong anti-Trump theme VIEW
- In push for 2020 election security, Homeland chief was warned: Don’t tell Trump
Emma’s family says she has since received thousands of letters and photos from around the world.