NEW YORK — A Manhattan woman has expressed her gratitude to a man who recovered her purse, containing $10,000, from a subway platform.
Aiya Tulemaganbetova met with Richard Taverna on Thursday.
He found her Chanel bag, including an envelope filled with $100 bills, on a subway bench near Lincoln Center on Dec. 20. The retired financial consultant took it to police.
She’d filed a police report before heading to Kazakhstan. She was planning to use part of the money to buy Christmas gifts.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mueller concludes Russia-Trump probe with no new indictments WATCH
- Jimmy Kimmel reacts to Spokane backlash proving Gonzaga's existence, then picks Zags to win NCAA tournament
- Man uses nude mannequins to send message to 'nosey' neighbor
- Alabama prison shuts off water to cells, hunger strike ends
- Eurostar passengers told to avoid travel until April
When they met, she presented Taverna with a statue, a hug and a donation in his name to a charity.
Taverna says there was “never any question” about doing the right thing.