NEW YORK — A Manhattan woman has expressed her gratitude to a man who recovered her purse, containing $10,000, from a subway platform.
Aiya Tulemaganbetova met with Richard Taverna on Thursday.
He found her Chanel bag, including an envelope filled with $100 bills, on a subway bench near Lincoln Center on Dec. 20. The retired financial consultant took it to police.
She’d filed a police report before heading to Kazakhstan. She was planning to use part of the money to buy Christmas gifts.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I'm having a bad dream': Air Canada reviews how crew left passenger on parked plane
- At Costco food-sample line, gunfire, death and unanswered questions
- Trump sanctions Iran's supreme leader in provocative move
- 30 tents abandoned by climbers add to trash pile on Everest VIEW
- Border official resigns amid uproar over migrant children VIEW
When they met, she presented Taverna with a statue, a hug and a donation in his name to a charity.
Taverna says there was “never any question” about doing the right thing.