RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles is issuing a new application form making it easier for some transgender people to list their gender on their driver’s licenses and identification cards.
The left-leaning news outlet NC Policy Watch first reported the change, saying the new form replaces a requirement for a surgeon’s letter when changing the gender marker on the cards. The release says while it still requires authorization from medical providers, it allows for a broader range of providers.
The new form still calls for “male” or “female,” which doesn’t acknowledge people who identify as neither, but LGBTQ advocates call the new form a step in the right direction.
N.C. Department of Transportation spokesman Jamie Kritzer says the policy is similar to that of 13 other states.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Key Largo is so flooded that crocodiles are swimming in the streets
- Trump escalates attacks on McConnell with 'DEATH WISH' post
- Russia withdraws troops after Ukraine encircles key city
- Records from Trump White House still missing, National Archives says