MADERA, Calif. (AP) — A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found by a newspaper carrier in the middle of a rural road before dawn in near-freezing temperatures.
Authorities are seeking the mother.
Sheriff’s officials say a man walking around 4:30 a.m. Monday was approached by a woman in a white SUV who asked him to take her baby. He refused and suggested she take the newborn to a fire station or hospital.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Rep. Elijah Cummings, Democratic leader and forceful Trump opponent, dies at 68
- Seattle hotelier Ambassador Gordon Sondland overseeing $1 million renovation of residence in Brussels
- US envoy says Giuliani was given role on Ukraine policy
- Police seize guns from man thought to be leader of neo-Nazi chapter in Washington state
- Pelosi takes charge of photo Trump meant as degrading
Fuentes told the Fresno Bee her umbilical cord was still attached.
The child is hospitalized in good condition and is expected to fully recover.
Information from: KFSN-TV.