MADERA, Calif. (AP) — A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found by a newspaper carrier in the middle of a rural road before dawn in near-freezing temperatures.
Authorities are seeking the mother.
Sheriff’s officials say a man walking around 4:30 a.m. Monday was approached by a woman in a white SUV who asked him to take her baby. He refused and suggested she take the newborn to a fire station or hospital.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Restaurants in Italy are reopening ancient 'wine windows' used during the plague
- Biden picks Kamala Harris as running mate, first Black woman
- 40% of people with coronavirus have no symptoms; might they be the key to ending the pandemic?
- How to clean your face mask to help prevent getting and spreading the coronavirus VIEW
- Powerful derecho leaves path of devastation across Midwest VIEW
Fuentes told the Fresno Bee her umbilical cord was still attached.
The child is hospitalized in good condition and is expected to fully recover.
Information from: KFSN-TV.