MADERA, Calif. (AP) — A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found by a newspaper carrier in the middle of a rural road before dawn in near-freezing temperatures.
Authorities are seeking the mother.
Sheriff’s officials say a man walking around 4:30 a.m. Monday was approached by a woman in a white SUV who asked him to take her baby. He refused and suggested she take the newborn to a fire station or hospital.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How FedEx cut its tax bill to $0
- Stop! Don’t charge your phone this way
- Police: Home in California backyard shooting was targeted VIEW
- Immigration jails in Trump era are packed, but deportations are fewer than in Obama's
- Trump’s weekend hospital visit draws a skeptical reaction
Fuentes told the Fresno Bee her umbilical cord was still attached.
The child is hospitalized in good condition and is expected to fully recover.
Information from: KFSN-TV.