MADERA, Calif. (AP) — A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found by a newspaper carrier in the middle of a rural road before dawn in near-freezing temperatures.
Authorities are seeking the mother.
Sheriff’s officials say a man walking around 4:30 a.m. Monday was approached by a woman in a white SUV who asked him to take her baby. He refused and suggested she take the newborn to a fire station or hospital.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Tri-Cities teen charged with selling his friend to an adult for sex
- Those UFO videos are real, the Navy says, but please stop saying 'UFO'
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- Where have the wild birds gone? 3 billion fewer than in 1970
- N.Y. teen fatally stabbed as peers filmed instead of helping, police say
Fuentes told the Fresno Bee her umbilical cord was still attached.
The child is hospitalized in good condition and is expected to fully recover.
Information from: KFSN-TV.