MADERA, Calif. (AP) — A newborn girl with her umbilical cord still attached was found by a newspaper carrier in the middle of a rural road before dawn in near-freezing temperatures.
Authorities are seeking the mother.
Sheriff’s officials say a man walking around 4:30 a.m. Monday was approached by a woman in a white SUV who asked him to take her baby. He refused and suggested she take the newborn to a fire station or hospital.
KFSN-TV reports the hours-old baby was wearing only a onesie when the newspaper carrier, Aurelio Fuentes, found her a short time later on the center line of the road in Madera County in Central California.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Leave the US, Trump tells liberal congresswomen of color
- Trump moves to effectively end asylum at Southern border
- 'Many people agree with me': Trump digs in on racist tweets VIEW
- Watch Coast Guardsman leap onto moving submarine that was carrying more than 17,000 pounds of cocaine in Pacific
- A healthy lifestyle may offset genetic risk for Alzheimer's
Fuentes told the Fresno Bee her umbilical cord was still attached.
The child is hospitalized in good condition and is expected to fully recover.
Information from: KFSN-TV.