UPLAND, Calif. (AP) — Prosecutors have charged a California mother in the death of her infant daughter and for injuries sustained by her son after police say he was dropped from an apartment building’s second story.
The San Bernardino County district attorney’s office said Thursday that 24-year-old Tierra Ortega is charged with child abuse causing death and attempted murder.
It’s unclear if Ortega has an attorney. She’s set to appear in court later Thursday.
Police say a neighbor saw Ortega drop her 1½-year-old son from a second-floor landing Tuesday before she jumped.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What we know about the Covenant school shooting in Nashville WATCH
- Japanese student goes to graduation dressed like Zelenskyy
- Police: Nashville shooter fired indiscriminately at victims WATCH
- Survivor of Highland Park gunfire crashes Nashville shooting news conference
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
Ortega suffered facial injuries. The boy was hospitalized with a broken foot and minor injuries.
Ortega’s daughter was not breathing when officers found her inside an apartment in the city of Upland, east of Los Angles.
The infant died at a hospital.