MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) — Authorities say the man who died in a shootout with the U.S. Marshals Service near West Virginia University is the same person who was wanted for shooting a police officer in Virginia last month.
The Morgantown Police Department on Thursday says Donquale Gray fired at marshals as he attempted to flee from them during a pursuit near the college Wednesday. At least one marshal shot back, and Gray was found dead at the scene.
Police say the 25-year-old Gray shot a Bluefield, Virginia, police officer during a Feb. 16 traffic stop. Officers returned fire and the car was found abandoned hours later in West Virginia. The officer who was shot was reported to be treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Autopsy results for Gray are pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump, in call, urged Ukraine to investigate Biden's son VIEW
- Women leave Montana town over border agency lawsuit backlash
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- Trapped at a waterfall, they sent an SOS message in a water bottle and were rescued
- Tri-Cities teen charged with selling his friend to an adult for sex