ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Authorities in Greece say a fight between two groups of prisoners at the country’s largest prison left an inmate dead and injured nine others.
The Justice Ministry said the fight broke out Thursday in the psychiatric unit of Korydallos prison, a maximum-security facility in Athens.
One inmate died of his injuries and eight others were hospitalized outside the prison for theirs. A prison officer also was injured.
The ministry said further details would be announced Friday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Tri-Cities teen charged with selling his friend to an adult for sex
- Those UFO videos are real, the Navy says, but please stop saying 'UFO'
- Where have the wild birds gone? 3 billion fewer than in 1970
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- N.Y. teen fatally stabbed as peers filmed instead of helping, police say
Greece has some of the most overcrowded prisons in the European Union. But the number of inmates per cell has improved in recent years due to prisoners having more opportunities for early release, as well as the construction of new prisons and additions to existing ones.