BERLIN (AP) — A German man convicted of negligent homicide for fatally hitting a 22-year-old Egyptian student with his car has appealed the verdict, court officials said Tuesday.
The 22-year-old man was given a one-year suspended sentence by a youth court in the eastern city of Cottbus last week.
Judges concluded that the defendant, who wasn’t named for privacy reasons, had been driving considerably faster than the speed limit of 30 kilometers per hour (19 mph) and said they were “appalled” by his behavior in court.
The case drew widespread attention in Germany because of reports that a passenger in the car had racially abused the severely injured Egyptian woman — who died a few days later — and her friends. An investigation into the man was dropped for lack of evidence.
The regional court said in a statement that the defendant had declared his intention to appeal the ruling. It said he has one month to decide whether to ask a higher court to overturn the verdict on legal grounds or seek a second trial, court officials said.