LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Outgoing Republican U.S. Rep. Dave Brat has been named the new dean of Liberty University’s business school.
The nation’s most high-profile evangelical university announced Brat’s hiring Wednesday.
Brat is a former economics professor at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia who scored one of the biggest upsets in U.S. political history when he defeated then U.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a 2014 Republican primary. Brat lost the Richmond-area congressional seat last year to Democrat Abigail Spanberger in a closely watched race.
Brat was a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus. He has staunchly backed President Donald Trump, much like Liberty President Jerry Falwell Jr.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- America is at a low ebb, shaken by multiple blows, and Trump adds to the distress
- Trump, Bowser spar over police response as White House protests continue
- Trump took shelter in White House bunker as protests raged
- Researchers warn COVID-19 could cause debilitating long-term illness in some patients
- Unrest, peaceful protests across US for another night VIEW
Brat joins former Virginia Republican Rep. Robert Hurt, who the Lynchburg-based university hired in 2017 to lead the school’s Center for Law & Government.