LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) — Outgoing Republican U.S. Rep. Dave Brat has been named the new dean of Liberty University’s business school.
The nation’s most high-profile evangelical university announced Brat’s hiring Wednesday.
Brat is a former economics professor at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia who scored one of the biggest upsets in U.S. political history when he defeated then U.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in a 2014 Republican primary. Brat lost the Richmond-area congressional seat last year to Democrat Abigail Spanberger in a closely watched race.
Brat was a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus. He has staunchly backed President Donald Trump, much like Liberty President Jerry Falwell Jr.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How FedEx cut its tax bill to $0
- Police: Home in California backyard shooting was targeted VIEW
- Immigration jails in Trump era are packed, but deportations are fewer than in Obama's
- Trump’s weekend hospital visit draws a skeptical reaction
- Time and again, envoy’s Ukraine tale differs from others
Brat joins former Virginia Republican Rep. Robert Hurt, who the Lynchburg-based university hired in 2017 to lead the school’s Center for Law & Government.