Fire crews in St. Petersburg, Florida, rescued two adults and five children who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — Fire crews in St. Petersburg rescued two adults and five children who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.
Authorities say a generator running in the garage caused the fumes to build up inside the home early Friday.
St. Petersburg Fire Rescue crews arrived at the home shortly after 4 a.m.
Spokesman Steve Lawrence told the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/1F6n9IX ) the family was using a generator to provide power to the house. It wasn’t clear why.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
Crews administered oxygen at the scene, and the children and their mother showed signs of improvement. Lawrence says the father was going in and out of consciousness.
A fire rescue news release identified the man as Ernest Dickson. Dickson, his fiancée and children — ranging in age from 5 months to 12 — were checked at hospitals and were not experiencing any ill effects by late morning.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.