ADEL, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa couple convicted in the starvation death of their 16-year-old adopted daughter will likely spend the rest of their lives in prison.
A judge Friday sentenced 41-year-old Misty Jo Bousman Ray to a life sentence without the possibility of parole and her husband, 43-year-old Marc Ray, to 80 years in prison.
They were arrested following the May 2017 death of Sabrina Ray, who weighed only 56 pounds when she died.
Misty Jo Bousman Ray pleaded guilty Jan. 9 to one count of first-degree kidnapping and two counts of third-degree kidnapping involving two other adopted children who lived at her Perry home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘It’s ugly out there’: Rail thefts leave LA tracks littered with pilfered packages
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
Marc Ray, pleaded guilty last month to child endangerment causing death and three counts of third-degree kidnapping.
Misty Jo Bousman Ray apologized, saying “all of this is my fault.”