NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans police say a female bystander was fatally shot as a man being ejected from a Bourbon Street eatery grabbed a security guard’s gun and fired it several times as they struggled. Police say the man also shot himself and the guard.
A police statement says 37-year-old Louis Barnes was arrested after the shooting early Sunday and underwent shoulder surgery, while the guard had surgery for a neck wound.
Police say Barnes faces charges of second-degree murder and attempted murder. It’s not known if he has a lawyer.
Rosaleen Brown tells The New Orleans Advocate her friend Julie Couvillon was killed. The 36-year-old nurse died at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A single word sparks a crossfire between the Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Last straw: Fed-up Arizona Democrats censure Sen. Sinema
Police spokesman Juan Barnes says a third man was also hurt, but not by a bullet, outside the fried chicken-and-daiquiri restaurant.