NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans police say a female bystander was fatally shot as a man being ejected from a Bourbon Street eatery grabbed a security guard’s gun and fired it several times as they struggled. Police say the man also shot himself and the guard.
A police statement says 37-year-old Louis Barnes was arrested after the shooting early Sunday and underwent shoulder surgery, while the guard had surgery for a neck wound.
Police say Barnes faces charges of second-degree murder and attempted murder. It’s not known if he has a lawyer.
Rosaleen Brown tells The New Orleans Advocate her friend Julie Couvillon was killed. The 36-year-old nurse died at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hawaii authorities say 33 swimmers were harassing dolphins WATCH
- Probiotic supplements may do the opposite of boosting your gut health
- California reparations amount, if any, left to politicians
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- ‘We’re going away’: A state’s choice to forgo Medicaid funds is killing hospitals VIEW
Police spokesman Juan Barnes says a third man was also hurt, but not by a bullet, outside the fried chicken-and-daiquiri restaurant.