YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — A former member of an Armenian militant group who carried out a fatal 1983 bombing attack on Orly Airport in Paris has died.
Armenian news reports on Tuesday said Varuzhan Karapetian’s death was believed to be from a heart attack.
Karapetian, a Syrian of Armenian descent, headed the French branch of the Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia. He confessed to paying a passenger to check a bomb-carrying bag for him onto a Turkish Airlines flight, claiming he had too much luggage himself.
The bomb exploded at the check-in counter, killing eight people.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hackers release data after LA school district refuses to pay ransom
- Trump escalates attacks on McConnell with 'DEATH WISH' post
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- The Story Behind DeSantis’ Migrant Flights to Martha’s Vineyard
Karapetian was sentenced to life imprisonment in France, but was released in 2001 on condition of his being deported to Armenia.