NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — An autopsy shows that a Kenyan rights activist, missing for six days before her body was discovered in a city morgue, died from a botched abortion.
Many had feared that Caroline Mwatha’s disappearance and death had to do with her work at the Dandora Social Justice Center which has been documenting illegal police killings and other violations.
Dr. Peter Muriuki, who conducted the autopsy for Mwatha’s family, said she died of excessive bleeding both internally and externally. He said it was a result of a medical intervention removing the fetus.
Police asked a court Thursday to hold six people for 14 days to investigate Mwatha’s death. They include the owner of the clinic where she died. Abortion is illegal in Kenya unless it’s an emergency to save the mother.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Anna the anaconda got pregnant all by herself — by 'virgin birth'
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban